with the San Diego Padres broke early in spring training, te

Khu vực troa đổi, kêu gọi gia nhập bang hội ở các server và các vùng miền

with the San Diego Padres broke early in spring training, te

Gửi bàigửi bởi panxing18 » Thứ 4 24/04/19 10:33

SAN DIEGO (AP) — When word of Manny Machado’s $300 million Jim Bunning Jersey , 10-year contract m officials wouldn’t immediately confirm the deal because the All-Star slugger still had to pass a physical.But that didn’t keep general partner Peter Seidler, a nephew of former Los Angeles Dodgers owner Pete O’Malley, from expressing what a monumental move it was for a franchise that had mostly stumbled and bumbled through its 50-year history.While executive chairman Ron Fowler played the straight man at an impromptu news conference, Seidler couldn’t keep from smiling. He then essentially confirmed that yes, the rebuilding Padres had actually pulled off the splashiest move in their history.“Ron and I, we love the city of San Diego, we love sports in San Diego, but we’re also well aware of the history. There’s never been a championship from a major sports franchise in San Diego,” Seidler said. “We as an organization want to completely change that. We want our franchise to win year after year after year. And we’re going to do whatever we can rationally do to help make that happen.”How fast the addition of Machado accelerates the Padres’ push for contention remains to be seen. At the very least, it makes the Padres relevant after so many lost seasons. They haven’t been to the playoffs since 2006 and their last winning season was 2010. They’re coming off a 96-loss season.The addition of Machado signals that the Padres think their loaded farm system is just about ready to help the club return to contention.After months of speculation that roped in Machado’s family and friends and tested the patience of fans in several cities, the third baseman will be the biggest attraction at Petco Park, a gem of a ballpark just off San Diego Bay.“With the players Jim Thome Jersey , coaching staff and front office, you know it was just like a perfect fit for us,” Machado said.The Padres’ long-suffering fans have been ecstatic ever since. They’ll get another dose of hope when 20-year-old hotshot shortstop prospect Fernando Tatis Jr. joins Machado in the infield, most likely sometime this season.The Padres said they sold $3 million worth of tickets in the two weeks after Machado signed. They’ve declined to reveal any other figures.Here are some things to look for from the Padres, who open at home on March 28 against the San Francisco Giants and manager Bruce Bochy, who is retiring after the season. Bochy managed the Padres from 1995-2006.TOAST TO THAT: You know you’re big in San Diego if a craft beer is named after you. Within weeks of Machado’s arrival, he had two named for him: the Murky Machado Hazy IPA by Bay City Brewing and the Mango Machado Hazy Double IPA by Creative Creature Brewing in suburban El Cajon. It remains to be seen if they’ll have the staying power of Alesmith’s San Diego Pale Ale .394, a nod to the late Hall of Famer Tony Gwynn’s highest batting average, in the strike-shortened season of 1994.NEW FACES: Besides Machado, the Padres also signed second baseman Ian Kinsler and infielder Greg Garcia, who went to high school in El Cajon and whose grandfather, the late Dave Garcia, managed the Indians and Angels.ROOKIES TO WATCH: Right-hander Chris Paddack has pitched so well in spring training that it appears he’s forced his way into the rotation http://www.philliesfanproshop.com/authentic-pat-neshek-jersey , but manager Andy Green has yet to indicate whether he’ll break camp with the big league club. The Padres will keep an eye on his innings since he pitched only 90 innings last year between Single A and Double A as he came back from Tommy John surgery. Luis Urias, who will keep shortstop warm until Tatis arrives, made his big league debut in September before injuring a hamstring. Other pitchers who could make their big league debuts this year are left-hander Logan Allen and right-hander Cal Quantrill.BATTING ORDER: The top three batters in San Diego’s projected order, Kinsler, Eric Hosmer and Machado, all have World Series experience. Kinsler was with Boston Red Sox when they beat Machado’s Los Angeles Dodgers last fall, and Hosmer won a ring with Kansas City in 2015.LOOKING FOR A BOUNCEBACK: Hosmer admittedly didn’t play up to expectations last year after the Padres gave him a $144 million, eight-year deal. Wil Myers, coming off another injury-shortened season, moves back to center field after struggling at third base late last year. He played center field in 2015 before playing first base in 2016-17. MESA, Ariz. (AP) — Major league home run leader Khris Davis would like a long-term deal from the Oakland Athletics that allows him to stay with the franchise for at least three more seasons.Davis says desire for a multiyear contract won’t consume as he prepares to open the season in Japan next month against the Seattle Mariners. He hopes to dazzle Japanese fans by hitting at least one home run.“Whatever works best for the organization,” Davis told The Associated Press on Sunday. “For me personally, I just want to focus on this year. I don’t like to get ahead of myself or look back in the past and play in the past. I just try to focus on the now. Whatever comes long-term is going to come. If they want me here long-term they’re going to get something done.”Oakland general manager David Forst has said signing Davis long-term is a top priority. The team spent the offseason putting pieces around the star outfielder and designated hitter to try to build another consistent contender.Led by Davis’ 48 home runs and career-high 123 RBIs Odubel Herrera Jersey , the 97-win A’s returned to the playoffs for the first time in four years before losing the AL wild card game to the New York Yankees.The slugger joked about the fact he has hit .247 for each of the past four seasons. He received a $6 million raise this offseason to $16.5 million.“I’d like to be here. I hope something gets done,” Davis said. “It’s not a good thing being a free agent right now. For my security, it’s going to impact a lot. That’s the way the business is. I’m already 31 so I don’t know if I’m too old. There’s a lot of things that run through my head. Who knows. If it happens, it happens.”Manager Bob Melvin had some encouraging things to say in Saturday’s team meeting, and Davis said “it made me feel a little more secure.”“Shoot, I want to stay here at least three more years, but that’s a long time to be an Oakland A. But if anybody can do it, I guess it’s me, hopefully,” Davis said. “I don’t think they’ll trade me as long as we’re doing good. So we better do good so I don’t get traded.”Melvin is counting on that, too.“He’s been as good a fit here as some of the great players in the past here,” Melvin said. “I kind of alluded since the day he got here he seems like the perfect fit for our city, for our team Jorge Alfaro Jersey , the attitude he has as a superstar that has an everyday workmanlike mentality, doesn’t want the spotlight, so that’s kind of what I was implying. I mean what I said, he’s been absolutely terrific for us.”Davis and Jimmie Foxx from 1932-34 are the only players in Athletics history with three straight 40-homer seasons. Davis hit 85 homers in 2017 and ’18, second in than span to Giancarlo Stanton’s 86.Davis did reflect on his 2018 accomplishments at the end of the season.“Now I’m kind of like over it,” he said.Davis stuck with his regular offseason routine and has determined certain numbers he would like to reach this season.“Why would I change anything up? Come on, I’m at the top of my game right now. I wouldn’t change that up,” he said, noting of the high expectations: “It’s a great thing. I like it. I did it to myself. I’m the only one that can hit .247 for four years. I pretty much have that force field around me.”Melvin typically steers clear of getting involved or discussing player contract situations.“My concern would be that we’re down to the last year with him and the potential of losing him would come up next year,” Melvin said, “and I hope that’s not the case.”
panxing18

Bài viết: 516
Ngày tham gia: Thứ 3 24/04/18 10:10
Đã cảm ơn: 0 lần
Được cám ơn: 0 lần

Quay về Khu Vực Bang Hội

Ai đang trực tuyến?

Đang xem chuyên mục này: Không có thành viên nào đang trực tuyến3 khách